Sunday, June 27, 2010

Philadelphia

I am visiting my daughter in Philly and enjoying summer. I forget how hot and humid summer can really be. After living in the northwest for over 30 years I think summer starts in July and hits the 80's in temp. WRONG...

I am enjoying this Sunday morning sitting on the back porch out of the AC and listening to the birds. It is early and all are sleeping inside. Both grandkids are here (one from Chicago and 18 years difference in age) and it a very interesting time. I love the busyness of seeing them all and love this solitude of morning. I miss seeing cardinals at home ( we don't have them).

I have just read another blog of a woman in Portland. She talked about femininity and I feel like I want to write about it too. I am a woman born after the war like so many. I grew up in the 50's and 60's and have struggled with the patterns my mother laid down in my mind. How to keep house, how to be a good wife and how to be a mother. I rebelled for years and finally found that I am just like my mother in so many ways. I am a good wife. I was a wife for 30 years and raised two children. I also have worked all that time in one job or another. Six years ago I became partners with a woman. I thought it would be so different than living with a man and I welcomed the differences. I found that it is so similar. But is similar because I am still who I am. I don't know how to not be a good wife.

I have friends that think it terrible that I do the laundry and keep the house clean, but that is who I am. I find that I like doing that. I am not a jock or a tomboy and have never been. My main thoughts are of textiles and and books and weaving and creating something out of yarn or cloth. I have loved this in one form or another all my life. I don't want to change it.

Since I am in the latter part of my life. I hope I have another third to go but who knows? I am blessed with health and have good genes but that is a crap shoot. So I hope I can wind down the working and enjoy the creating. I long to spend days just thinking about creating something that is in my head. I now keep Fridays for a weaving day. It might not be spent at the loom but it is not spent on the road or in the basement doing laundry. I might spend the day looking at weaving books or working on my new love, Spirit Cloth, but it is my day being in my head and working with my hands.

I still wear some makeup and am struggling with the changes in my body. It is hard to have these changes since we were so caught up in how we looked for so long. I would love to get past it and just let it all happen, but that is part of who I am too. I find that I am embracing that woman after all these years and loving her. I have not always felt that way. I am learning that we all have our experiences and they pile up on each other and create who we are. I like being this age and knowing that I can be slower in my life. I can sit for longer times and read more. I can create slow cloth that is made by hand on my loom or on my lap. I can be who I am.

5 comments:

  1. i just came here from your post at grace's.. this post caught my attention... sounds like we both value our femininity ... i was born in 48 and went through the lib movement as an outcast because i stayed home to raise my boys. ... you reminded me of why i like to iron... its the cloth. i took jude's cloth to cloth 2 class and am enjoying the feel of cloth in a new way... nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nandas
    Thanks for commenting. I am so new to this blogging no one has ever commented here, so you're the first. I also was born in 48 and raised my two kids through all of that. great to know you are out there..

    linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, well...here we are. Nance above is
    almost a sister...we met through a Women's
    writing group..online..national group and tho
    we no longer participate, are strong friends.
    that's been 5, 6 years?...anyway...
    i like very much the rhythm of this post and
    the ones to follow. there is a quiet introspection, a "just looking, just thinking"
    to it that is easy on my mind/heart. it's
    unusual.
    i can tell that i will enjoy journying with you
    in the days to come.
    blogging is surprising to me. at first i thought
    i didn't really like it, now, it is becoming
    something of it's own accord and i find it
    very good.
    i was born in 1945, so we are all in the same
    developmental stage of life. a good place to
    get to.
    so i am going to slowly look at all your entries
    ...they give a good sense of the woman who is
    here, weaving, stitching, thinking, writing.
    Thank you Linda for finding me on windthread...
    love,
    grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace I have admired you and your work from afar, so glad you are here, it makes my heart smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when you were in philadelphia, did you go to the philadelphia art museum to see the kantha show? my
    m-i-l lives there and we all went together...it was fascinating... pam has a great fiber department so when you go make sure to check out what's there.
    and yes... as grace says we are almost sisters...
    thanks for coming to see my blog... hope you will come again... i will post more regularly in a bit when i get a few more things off my plate. blogging is still not in my comfort zone... you seem to be doing quite well with it though... good for you!

    ReplyDelete